So we did it…those of us that had children start in the foundation class at school – we survived the first week.
What did I learn??
- That the copious amounts of paperwork, information and rubbish you receive in the book bag will soon become annoying and tedious
- That children become even more tired and argumentative than you can imagine
- To check the book bag every night to avoid embarrassment when on the mums WhatsApp group they are discussing potatoes and you have no clue what they are talking about #badmum
- There is suddenly not enough hours in the day to do everything and keep up to date with your 4 year olds diary
- The internet and next day delivery will soon become your best friend
What didn’t help this week was that it ended with Roald Dahl Book Day; hence my panic and last minute purchase on the Party Delights website for a Willy Wonka costume.
How do parents have time to keep up to date with all the calendar invites? The dress up days, the requests for potatoes, pebbles, certain items of clothing that needs to be sent in.
It has definitely made me reevaluate my working hours.
I was lucky enough this week to change things around and to have the flexibility to leave a little early most days.
Just that extra half an hour getting home with monkey and having a head start on the chores made such a difference.
It’s been an emotional week; knowing monkey is taken to and from school by someone else, that he is growing up so fast, seeing him be so independent.
The positive is that he is loving it and is so happy; getting any information out of him about what he has been doing is however a challenge.
When asking how his day has been and getting a response such as ‘I’m not going to tell you mummy’ I can’t help but sit back and laugh.
This stubborn, hot headed, strong willed little boy is growing up, making his own decisions, and do you know what? For the first time, I feel helpless.
I could not be prouder of him and how he has dealt with his first week at school; but one things for sure…it feels like we have started school all over again too!
Busy Working Mummy XOXO