Okay so one of my New Years Resolutions isn’t to get fit as I love the gym and exercise already. It is more of a reminder to keep going and try and tone that dreaded mum tum.
However, as much as I went through a kick start in motivation last year, it takes a lot to actually keep it up and make it part of your routine.
Thankfully I pushed through the 66 days which apparently is how long it takes to make something a routine and now I love the gym. I tend to do a couple of classes, like pilates and spinning and then a few gym sessions on my own during the week.
However, joining the gym can be a difficult decision. Having been a member at a few different gyms over the years, here are my top tips:
- Always ask about their joining fees. They will usually waiver these if you ask, and most will be doing a New Year offer anyway.
- Bear in mind what you want the gym for – if it is running, could you not save money by taking up road running? If it is classes and swimming, make sure you look at the timetables to make sure the classes you want run at the times that suit you.
- Gyms will always be busier between 6.30-8am and 5-7pm. These are peak times, and there really is little you can do about it other than avoiding these times if you can.
- Are you a social butterfly? Do you want to use the gym for social reasons as well as getting fit? Some gyms will run events throughout the year. Many will have a coffee shop serving food and refreshments so make sure you ask to take a look.
- Do you work shifts? Make sure you are happy with the opening times of the gym you pick. Some smaller gyms only open for a few hours at a weekend, whereas larger gyms open 8am – 8pm, and some are 24 hours!!!
I have noticed a huge amount of people at my gym this January. Some days you cant even get a space in the car park. A few of us were talking on Sunday in spinning about how it is difficult to book into classes at the moment due to the ‘newbies.’
I sincerely hope these ‘newbies’ stick to their resolutions for the 66 days and make it part of their lifestyle too.
Just leave a space and a treadmill for this mummy still trying to get fit…
Have you joined a gym or pledged to get fit this year?
Busy Working Mummy XOXO