I came across an article this week about 5 myths of a working mum. I was quite shocked actually as even though the myths were just that…myths, it still surprised me that some people probably do genuinely think these things about working mums.
So I took these myths and have busted them Busy Working Mummy style –
- ‘Mums only work because they have to’ For me, I don’t really have to work full time. I do it because I enjoy it and I enjoy having something else to put my energy into. Yes, I get that a lot of mums would love to be stay at home mums and spend the time with their children rather than work. For me personally, I work because I enjoy it and get a great work/life balance from it.
- ‘Working Mums pay someone to raise their children’ Haha really? Yes I pay nursery A LOT of money a month to LOOK AFTER my child but certainly not to raise him. Raising your child means teaching them manners, showing affection, letting them know what is right from wrong. Of course nursery will have a part to play in this, but they could never be seen as raising them. Little man loves nursery so much, and he is such an outgoing and happy little man because of this.
- ‘Working Mums don’t give their children enough attention’ Okay, so I spend the evenings at home playing games in the bath with little man and reading stories. Then at weekends, going out swimming, taking trips to the parks etc. I do not stop. It is my choice to work full time, so I have no right to complain about a jam packed weekend doing family things. I wouldn’t complain anyway because I love it. My little boy gets so much attention from hubby and I when we are with him because we don’t see him during the days of the week when we work.
- ‘Working mums don’t love their children as much’ What a load of rubbish. Need I go on? No, honestly, I love little man as much as any normal mum. Just because I choose to work doesn’t mean I love him any less.
- ‘Working mums have less happy families’ OMG they just get worse don’t they? My family is content, happy and loved. There is always fresh homemade food on the tables, fruit and vegetables, a big play room full of toys, a loving and stable family unit made up of hubby and I. I am not sure how anyone could think that by being a working mum means not being happy. Working makes me happy, nursery makes little man happy and the balance in our family is just right.
So myths busted. What other things have you heard about us horrible working mummy’s? Lets keep on busting them….
Busy Working Mummy XOXO